Bass Lessons in Cleveland
I offer a complete system for learning the Bass Guitar. What are your goals as a bass player?
- Learn bass lines from your favorite songs
- Analyze a complete song and break down ideas in the song, to understand the "how and why" of what we play
- Learn great bass lines that work for blues, rock, funk, reggae, etc and create variations
- Construct bass lines that fit with the chords in a song
- Groove, play "in the pocket"
- Jam / improvise on your own
- Jam / improvise with others and in a band setting
Most bass players want to be able to play with other
people. Why not learn from a teacher that:
- Plays bass guitar, drums, guitar and other instruments.
- Can show you how these instruments interact and fit together
- Has experience playing different styles of music in a professional setting
- Has the patience, technique and the plan designed just for you, to help you meet your goals
Ready to start learning how to play the bass guitar? Give me a call at 440-785-7897 or email me to get started.
Here is what to expect:
- I teach out of my own materials. Never a boring book!
(If there is a book you want to study from, I will be happy to help you with it.)
- I write everything down in front of you, as I explain it step by step.
What can I learn on the Bass Guitar?
- Do you know the qualities of different chords? Can you construct any chord on bass? Do you know why certain chords and scales sound good together?
- Do you know the qualities of different musical scales? Can you construct any scales you want? Do you know how to use scales
to create bass lines, riffs, melodies and "play the changes" in a song?
- Do you want to be able to improvise over any chord progression?
- Can you count time in a song?
- Can you play in different styles; for example, rock, funk, reggae, soul, blues, folk, jazz, r&b, bluegrass, rockabilly, etc?
- Do you want constructive feedback and mentoring?
- Do you want to develop your own style and learn to speak the language of music theory?
When you study with me, you will ultimately develop a system of knowledge
that leads to mastery of your instrument. This will help you express yourself, with music, to the fullest
of your potential.
What are some Techniques on the Bass Guitar?
I make it fun and easy by providing great
examples for you to play and taking it step by step; in my comprehensive and empathic teaching style.
- Patterns, shapes and tricks to make playing a stringed instrument easier
- Chord construction
- Scale construction
- Time signatures, counting time, reading music
- Melodies, riffs and bass lines
- Techniques for different styles
- Intervals and ear training
- Rhythms and strumming patterns
- Flat picking, Cross picking and finger picking
- Hammer-ons, pull-offs, string bending, tremelo
- How to use muting to clean up your sound
- Chord Voicing
- Tension / Release
- Open tunings (alternative tunings)
- Slide Bass, Slap Bass and other techniques
- Difference between straight time and swing
- Similarities between different instruments (guitar, bass, piano, drums)
- Play harmonica while playing bass (why not?)
- Basic piano for bass players
- How to groove; how to lock into a rhythm
- Jamming and playing with others
Interactive / Multi-media
I can show you how to use a computer to compose your music. For example, the free program Audacity.
Got a loop pedal or other effects pedals that you want to learn how to use? Let's wipe the dust
off those instruction manuals and I'll show you how to get the most out of your effect pedals!
As a composer, I always analyze songs from a songwriter's perspective. I can show you
how songwriters think. For example, I can help you with ideas for accompaniment for your songs.
I will show you how to count time in the song (understand the time signature and count the bars and beats for
Opportunities for students to play out/perform
I've seen my students go from learning their first songs to performing at open mics and live events. I can keep you in the loop about good open mics, drum circles,
and music-related events in the Cleveland area and help you get ready to perform in front of a live audience, if
that's your goal. I encourage my students to take advantage of all these opportunities.
I teach something that other instructors cannot replicate; my perspective
In other words, no one will teach you the same things, in the same order and give you
the same feedback as I would. Every lesson is a unique experience.
Read about the benefits of a music education
Check out the blog for some great music-related videos.
Want to try a music lesson this week? You will never look at the bass guitar the same way again.
Already play the bass and know some music theory? Maybe there is a style or technique that
you need help with. Maybe you need help improvising and jamming with someone. Try one lesson; perhaps there
is something I can show you that you don't know already. Want to learn how to play with others or in a band setting?
I have guitars and a drum set that I could use during the lesson.